How To Pick The Right Phone Case:
A phone case is something you may not have even thought about before, but if you’ve just bought a brand new mobile phone then chances are it is now.
In this post we are going to walk you through exactly how to pick the right phone case, to ensure it meets your needs and is the right choice to protect your phone.
If you want to protect your new handset then a mobile phone case is a perfect way to do so, often they are cheap, protective and easy to use.
Mobile phones cases come in many different shapes and sizes, some have cool designs on whilst others are transparent and are hardly noticeable.
You may be asking yourself; do I really need a phone case?
Well, just fewer than 24% of people have broken their smartphone in the last two years. If you are between 16-24 and live in the UK, the number rises to 48%.
We have all done it, you are jumping out of your car too quickly and your phone slides right out your hand and smashes onto the pavement.
The horror, then having to find a phone repair shop that isn’t going to rip you off and charge you an arm and a leg to replace the screen is a task in itself.
So, let’s take a look at how to pick the right phone case to ensure this doesn’t happen to you…
Budget is one of the most important factors when it comes to choosing a new phone case after you have just spent a fortune on your brand new phone, it may seem like a better option just to skip the case altogether.
Thankfully there are phone cases out there which cost as little as £10; these can be the perfect layer of protection for your brand new phone.
Often they will be a hardened plastic material and transparent, so it’s hard to tell that the phone has a case on it.
These budget phone cases are super cheap, and often are just what your phone needs to stop it smashing into pieces when it hits the floor.
However, if you are a little clumsier than the average Joe, then a more premium case could be the better option for you.
Otterbox is a brand that we use personally to protect our mobile phones, they usually range from between £20 – £60 and ensure that your phone has the best chance of survival should it clatter off the ground.
You will rarely find the best price for a mobile phone case on the supplier’s website, that’s why we always recommend doing a quick comparison search on the likes of eBay and Amazon.
This gives you a much better chance of bagging yourself a great deal when it comes to protecting your mobile phone.
Sometimes mobile phone case manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty on their phone cases, so if you’re opting for a more premium case then it is probably worth checking to see if they offer this.
How To Choose The Right Phone Case For Your Lifestyle:
Something to consider when searching how to pick the right phone case is your lifestyle.
Are you particularly clumsy on your mobile phone?
Are you someone who has to keep taking your device to have the screen fixed?
These are all important factors I choosing a new phone case as you want to make sure you get the right one to fit around your lifestyle.
If you are someone who works in an office environment then you may not need a case that is so heavy-duty, whilst those on building sites will want to ensure they have lots of protection.
Sometimes it feels like a shame to cover your smartphones beautiful design, so opting for a cheaper transparent case could be great for you.
These cases are basic, but they do offer an added layer of protection for your smartphone should it clatter off the pavement.
The good thing about these basic phone cases is that they are cheap but made from a hardened plastic, which does well to protect your new device.
These cases are more than enough to protect again scratches and light damage that would otherwise damage your smartphone.
Some mobile phone cases have a military drop test certification, which means it has survived a third-party test that ensures the case is sturdy enough for combat.
This type of certification ensures the phone is tested from pressure, temperature, impact and much more, meaning it’ll take some serious damage to destroy this phone case.
You will also want to keep an eye out for an IP (Ingress Protection) rating, which is essentially dust and water resistance.
These are for those that need a lot of protection for their phone, these are little more expensive than the standard plastic transparent phone case, but they offer a lot more protection for your phone.
Case or Skin?
Choosing to buy a new smartphone case is hard enough; there is so much to choose from with tons of different styles and features.
Well, there is also the option of buying a skin, however, these do not offer the same level of protection as your average phone case.
A skin is for those that don’t want to add much extra bulk on to their smartphone.
The problem with the more protective phone cases is that they are so bulky, meaning your phone will feel strange in your hand for a while and take up more room.
This can be hard to get used too, especially when you have just bought a brand new phone.
So a skin can be a great alternative, it allows you to have some protective benefits but doesn’t add much bulk on to your phone.
Here are the pros and cons of a mobile phone skin:
Phone case pros:
- Protective – A mobile phone offers a lot of protection from the outside world; if you drop your device you have an extra layer of protection between the ground and your phone.
- Durability – Phone cases often have great durability, especially the more rugged cases; they can be used in all weather and for years to come without needing to purchase a new one.
- Keeps condition – Using a mobile phone case is great for those that want to sell their phone in the future, as the case keeps the device in top condition and free from scratches or damage.
Mobile phone case cons:
- Expensive – Often mobile phone cases are expensive, you may be one of the few to have one included with your mobile phone, but for the most part mobile phone cases can be a pricey bit of kit.
- Overheating – Because the mobile is encased it can often overheat, especially when using the phone intensely for gaming and viewing content on YouTube.
- Block Signal – Mobile phone cases are also known to block the connectivity and signal of your phone in certain areas where the signal might not be great.
Mobile phone skin pros:
- Design – A mobile phone skin ensures that your phone can still show off its spectacular design without being hidden by an ugly case.
- Variety – Using a skin for your mobile phone is great as there is often a ton to choose from, simply browsing Amazon will reveal the abundance of mobile phone skins out there.
- Thin – Probably the most important benefit of a mobile phone skin is that they are thin on your phone, meaning they don’t add the extra bulk of a mobile phone case and ensure your phone isn’t uncomfortable in your hand.
Mobile phone skin cons:
- Protection – This is a big negative of using a skin over a phone case, the level of protection is minimal, and if you do drop your phone it is much more likely to damage.
- Expensive – Mobile phone skins can be quite expensive, especially if you are looking for one with a quirky design, we bought one recently with a camouflage design and it was over £35.
Both a skin and a mobile phone are a step in the right direction; they will both give you an extra layer of protection, which is great for your smartphone.
If you own a premium smartphone such as the OnePlus 7 Pro, Google Pixel 4 or Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and want to keep that beautiful design on show, then a mobile phone skin could be the best option for you.
However, when it comes to picking the right phone case we do recommend factoring in your lifestyle and where you use the phone.
This will affect the likelihood of you dropping or damaging the device.
Choosing The Best Features:
Choosing the right features is an important part of how to pick the right phone case for you, some offer little stands which are great for those that love to watch content on their phone, whilst some offer camera features that enhance the overall picture quality.
We are going to go through some of the best features to consider when it comes to picking the right phone case.
- Waterproof – If you are lucky enough to own a swimming pool, or simply enjoy using your phone whilst in the tub. A waterproof case may be a feature that you want to consider, often these mobile phone cases allow the phone to be completely submerged in up to 7 feet of water without the phone being touched by a single drop. This is great for those that listen to the radio on their phone whilst in the shower, or have a lifestyle which means they are around water a lot of the time.
- Wallet – If you are like me and don’t like to carry a bulky wallet around with you all day, then you may want to consider a mobile phone case that has a compartment at the back which allows you to store your cards and cash. These types of phone cases are usually designed to hold three or four cards, so you can have your bankcard, Nandos card and cinema card all in the back of your phone case!
- Stand – One of our favourite features for a mobile phone case is a stand, this is essentially a small leg that can be pulled out of the phone case to allow your phone to stand up on its own. This is great for watching Netflix and YouTube whilst on train journeys, and makes the commute to work much more bearable.
There are lots of different mobile phone case features to choose from, but these are some of our favourites.
These features are definitely worth considering especially if you are going to be purchasing an expensive phone case.
Should I Use A Screen Protector?
Something to consider when thinking about how to pick the right phone case is do I need a screen protector?
For the most part, your screen protector will come with the case, but these can sometimes get in the way of the touchscreen on your phone.
We recommend investing in a tempered glass screen protector, which deflects scratches and is more effective than the plastic screen protectors.
Screen protectors are incredibly cheap; they are often free with the phone or come included with the mobile phone case.
Even if you do not purchase a phone case we still recommend using a screen protector.
We have scratched our mobile phone so many times by not having a screen protector, and having our mobile phone and our car keys in the same pocket, so we do not want you to do to the same.
Do I Need A Charging Case?
One of the best and most up to date features in any mobile phone case is the ability to charge your phone whilst being protected.
This is an important part of how to pick the right phone case as if you own a phone that has a short battery life, this case could give you that extra life that you need and save you from buying a new smartphone.
Often we find that when we speak to people, one of the main reasons they want a new mobile phone is that their battery life is draining too quickly.
Now granted this is one of the first signs that your phone is on its way out, but what if for the meantime you can get away with a new phone case that has charging features?
This can save you money in the short term whilst adding protection to your phone.
Most phone cases, which have a built-in battery house an extra 3300mAh cell, this will give you on average an extra 120% of battery out of your phone.
This is great if you are like me and forget to bring your phone charger with you are out, and it ensures that your phone is topped up with juice hours after it should have been flat.
Whilst charging your phone on the go, the average phone case with a battery is double the thickness of a regular phone case; this means that the level of protection you are getting is twice as much as the average phone case.
This is definitely something to consider when choosing a new phone case, as it gives you two of the most crucial benefits of a case, power and protection.
When it comes to choosing the right phone case, we know it can be hard; there are so many choices out there now that all offer different perks.
Some give you more protection than others whilst some have added features.
The main thing is that you are considering a mobile phone case; this is a step in the right direction especially if you have recently purchased a new phone.
The level of protection a phone case provides is superb for the most part, and what will cost you less than £50, will often save you hundreds of pounds in the long run.
We hope we have helped you in your search for how to pick the right phone case.
Feel free to check out our mobile phone reviews and our previous post on how to choose the right phone for you.