Overview & Price
In this iPhone 6 review, we showcase the best iPhone 6 contract deals in the UK, as well as giving you all of the information you need to make an informed purchase decision.
Back in 2014 the iPhone 6 was the freshest on the scene and really got people talking, it has some great features and is priced very reasonably today at around the £180 in the UK.
Now because of this cheap price, networks are offering some incredible iPhone 6 deals here in the UK, the phone can be attained for around £25 per month.
The iPhone 6 is 6.9mm thin and weighs 129g and made of aluminium, instead of keeping the squared sides like the iPhone 5, they have decided to round them off which gives it a cool aesthetic look.
Check out the best iPhone 6 contract deals here…
Design & Display
The iPhone 6 display has a retina display and a resolution of 1334 x 750 and that’s 326ppi, there’s no denying that this lags behind other phones in the same price bracket such as the LG G3 but never the less the display is still good.
The phone runs on IOS 8 but can now be updated to IOS 10 which we would definitely recommend, Apple has implemented extra reachability which basically makes one-handed use much easier as when you double tap the home button it moves the UI half way down the display in order to interact with the top half and to pull down the notification bar.
The iPhone 6 design is extremely basic, it takes no getting used to and navigating around the phone is easy, buttons have a satisfying click noise to them too.
This is the first phone where Apple has moved the power button from the top of the phone to the top right-hand side, this makes it a lot easier and more convenient to turn the phone on and off by simply pressing it with your thumb or index finger if you’re left-handed.
Other than this slight change the layout is the same as previous models with the volume buttons being on the left side just under the mute button and the 3.5mm headphone jack residing at the bottom of the phone with the lightning port and 6 holes for the speaker.
The speaker is super easy to block or accidentally have your finger over it as it is literally 6 holes at the bottom of the phone, we noticed when recording footage we would accidentally block the holes and there would be no audio over my footage which was annoying until we eventually realised.
You wont get the most complex design with the iPhone 6, but it is clean and still looks slick even in 2018.
When it comes to the iPhone 6 performance, it comes standard with 16GB up to 128GB storage which is ideal for those who are wanting a cheaper iPhone but still want to store lots of photos and music on the phone.
The phone has some pretty cool features such as the Touch ID fingerprint scanner which really is great as it keeps you’re passwords secure and works really well for online banking.
The phone also comes with 1GB of RAM and an Apple A8 Dual Core 1.4GHz processor which is handy for gaming and keeping the phone running smoothly.
Although this is not the best Apple spec’d phone it can still handle being used quite intensely, but we found that doing this for long periods would make the phone hot to the touch and this therefore slowed everything down.
The iPhone 6 performance certainly wont blow your socks off, but it is enough to handle every day tasks such as reading, browsing the web and social media.
The highlight of this phone upon its release was definitely its camera, like the iPhone 7 it does stick out a little bit from the phone which makes it wobble when sitting flat on a table, but that is only minor.
The camera on the iPhone 6 is surprisingly fast when pulling out your phone and pressing the camera icon, we found it loaded pretty much instantly and is really efficient at taking quick and quality snaps.
It can take high frame rate fast video at 30/60 or 720p even 240fps, has fast autofocus and a fast wide open aperture glass for great low light pictures.
The rear camera is 8MP but is great at taking clean shots and has a faster shutter speed to avoid blurriness, it actually has top-notch image processing and produces some crispy shots with great colour.
As it is only 8MP there is no 4K video but overall the whole phone is a safe upgrade for someone wanting a solid good iPhone.
Now, because of the iPhone 6 having the A8 processor which promises to make everything a lot more efficient, drawing 50% less power than the previous A7 chip used, this means battery life is a lot better than the previous iPhone 5.
Now, because the phone is so slim it only has a 1810mAh battery which sounds small but Apple has the advantage of having everything optimised which gives it longer screen time overall at around 3-3.5 hours.
Although standby is absolutely great on this phone and I found that if it wasn’t being used it would hold its battery life really well.
We found that when the phone was on stand-by and not being used, it hardly used any battery whatsoever much like most of the newer models we see today.
Apple have implemented a ‘low power mode‘ which enables users to be a little more conservative when in them desperate low power situations.
We found that the battery lasts for around 15 hours of moderate usage and you could also make the phone last for 2 whole days if used wisely.
Overall, we feel like this phone is a good buy for someone wanting a good all round solid iPhone, this is because it is very good value for money as now there are a lot more updated versions so this has driven the cost/demand of the iPhone 6 down.
This phone is great for someone who takes a lot of photos and would like to store music on their phone as it goes upto 128GB.
The iPhone 6 design is clean, rather basic but this makes it easy to hold in one hand, and very user friendly and easy to get used to.
we would definitely recommend this phone or the iPhone SE for someone who just wants to be able to use iMessage and other Apple-like features, the phone is very simple and easy to use and would also be great for kids.
The iPhone 6 performance has got plenty of horsepower to keep your cruising through the day without any lag or stutter, although if you’re a gamer and need more power, then we recommend checking out our iPhone 8 review.
We hope you have enjoyed our iPhone 6 review and feel free to check out the best iPhone 6 contract deals in the UK at the top of the post.
Full Spec Below:
Launch: 2014, September
- Dimension: 138.1 x 67 x 6.9mm (5.4 x 2.64 x 0.27 inches)
- Weight: 129g (4.55oz)
- Build: Front glass, aluminium body
- Sim: Nano SIM
– Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Type: LED -backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours
- Size: 4.7 inches, 60.9cm², (-65.8% screen to body ratio)
- Resolution: 750 x 1334 pixels, 16:9 ratio (-326 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
- OS: iOS 8, upgradable to iOS 11.4.1
- Chipset: Apple A8
- CPU: Dual-core 1.4 GHz Typhoon (ARM v8-based)
- GPU: PowerVR GX6450 (quad-core graphics)
- Card slot: No
- Internal: 16/32/64/128GB, 1GB RAM DDR3
- Primary: 8MP (f/2.2, 29mm, 1/3″), PDAF, dual-LED dual-tone flash
- Features: Touch focus, geo-tagging, face/smile detection (photo/panorama), HDR
- Video: 1080p@60fps, 720p@240fps
- Secondary: 1.2MP (f/2.2, 31mm), 720p@30fps, face detection, HDR, FaceTime over Wi-Fi or Cellular
- Alert Types: Vibration, proprietary ringtones
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
– 16-bit/44.1kHz audio
– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.0, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- NFC: Yes (Apple Pay only)
- Radio: No
- USB: 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Messaging: iMessage, SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
- Browser: HTML5 (Safari)
- More: Siri natural language commands and dictation
– iCloud cloud service
– MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple lossless player
– MP4/H.264 player
– Audio/video/photo editor
– Document editor
- Non-removeable Li-Pro 1810 mAh battery (6.9 Wh)
- Stand-by: Up to 250h (3G)
- Talk Time: Up to 14h (3G)
- Music Play: Up to 50h
- Colors: Space Grey, Silver, Gold
- Price: As seen in blog post above
- Performance: Basemark OS: 1252 / Basemark X: 15841
- Display: Contrast ratio: 1213 (nominal), 3.838 (sunlight)
- Camera: Photo / Video
- Loudspeaker: Voice 66dB / Noise 65dB / Ring 72dB
- Audio Quality: Noise -94dB / Crosstalk -73.4dB
- Battery life: Endurance rating 61h