Overview & Price
The iPhone 7 is one of our favourite phones, purely because of the value for money piece with this phone. In this review we go over what makes this phone a contender for your next smartphone, as well as showcasing todays best iPhone 7 contract deals deals.
The phone is price at around £549 here in the UK, meaning it is attainable for very cheap on a 24-month contract deal.
This is good for the people looking at buying a purchasing a good all round phone for a decent price.
Apple has done a good job with the iPhone 7 performance aspect, offering a phone that runs smoothly, is power efficient and has a strong battery.
Check out the best iPhone 7 contract deals in the UK here..
Design & Display
The iPhone 7 design is very similar to previous models with its rectangular shape and some of the biggest bezels on any smartphone which can be kind of annoying but it means that you get to keep the home button.
Although the home button is now not an actual button, it is more of a trackpad as it doesn’t actually move and is just a still piece of glass, it is pressure sensitive which makes it feel like you are pushing a button.
The iPhone 7 display is also still great and has really good colour production but one thing that is hard to get used to is the fact that it has no headphone jack.
Apple are pushing wireless audio and trying to move away from lots of wires, although this is very aggressive and strange to get used to but most people nowadays have airpods so if you’re one of those guys it won’t be such a big deal.
However, it does come with a lightning connector for AUX and headphone ports. The audio performance on the iPhone 7 is very good and we actually really enjoyed listening to music play from multiple streaming sources through the airpods.
The iPhone 7 design looks simple and is super user friendly, their is no complicated buttons or anything crazy that takes getting used to.
Image: Aaron Burden
The iPhone 7 performance aspect is impressive, the phone has a 2GB of RAM and either 32/128 or 256GB of internal storage.
The iPhone 7 has the best vibration motor in any smartphone which means its great when you receive a notification and it actually really lets you know about it, whether it be in you’re hand or in you’re pocket this thing will definitely give you a heads up.
One of the biggest things about this phone is that it is IP67 rated waterproof, meaning it can survive being dropped in a swimming pool and can be used to take underwater shots thanks to the water-resistant chassis.
Touch ID is absolutely fantastic on this phone as it is so quick and easy to set up and generally makes everything a lot faster.
For example unlocking your phone only takes a split second and it also keeps everything nice and secure, it is great for storing passwords and works great for online banking.
The iPhone 7 has an A10 fusion chip which makes was once the most powerful and fanciest back in 2016 and this makes the phone very responsive when switching through apps or just generally navigating around the phone, the new chip makes the 7 20% faster than the previous 6S model. This is one of Apple’s strong points and it makes the whole experience a whole lot better.
The iPhone 7 is also the second generation of iPhone with 3D touch which enables you to be more interactive with the screen when moving apps and creating separate folders etc, although we didn’t really use it too much.
Image: OOI Jiet
Now looking at the camera, which is actually really good and takes great photos and 4K videos because of its optical image stabilisation and wide open aperture.
The iPhone 7 now has a 12MP lens with an improved f/1.8 aperture sensor which enhances its ability to gather light into the lens and also has an image processing chip which speeds up the process of taking multiple snaps.
The front-facing camera is now a 7MP lens which is great for taking selfies in low light when you’re in a club or out at night this works great.
The iPhone 7 plus has a second camera lens which is a telephoto lens with twice the focal length for the 2x optical zoom when you’re all the way zoomed out you are not just getting data from the main camera, but it is stitching extra imagery from the telephoto camera which means you get sharper and more detailed images.
This second lens also switches over when you get to 2x zoom, this tiny change is great and it actually switches over when video recording too.
As an overall package the camera is good and provides good quality images what look natural. Apple do a great job at keeping things plain and simple and thats exactly what they have done on the iPhone 7s camera, although a couple extra settings to tweak images wouldn’t go a miss their are plenty of apps out there which do that.
The iPhone 7 battery life is pretty good and will last you over a full day of casual usage. That being said when using the phone more than usual or using it intensely at all such as watching videos or playing games, the phone really does struggle with holding power.
The good thing about the battery is that it hardly drops charge whatsoever when not using the phone at all. Apple have also implemented a ‘power saving mode‘ which comes in handy when you’re trying to hold on to the last of your charge.
The iPhone 7 battery life is not ideal though as we found we would need to be topped up a lot and would get sweaty palms when away from a charger for a long period of time.
The bigger model iPhone 7 Plus is slightly better, it has a 2900mAh battery, meaning it will last slightly longer than the iPhone 7 battery life.
Overall we feel like this phone is a great all-rounder, and especially if you’re coming from a previous generation you will notice a lot of improvements, the phone is decently priced and does everything you would expect from an iPhone.
iPhone 7 performance is strong, it has plenty of horsepower that can handle almost anything you throw at it, however if you are a gamer or someone looking for lots of serious gaming power, then maybe this isn’t the phone for you.
It is smooth and fast when switching apps, has a good battery life and a very surprising camera, especially in the 7 plus model.
The iPhone 7 design is super simplistic, its easy to use and feels very nice in your hand. The design aspect is one of our favourite as the iPhone 7 comes in a range of colours and is also water-resistant.
We hope you have enjoyed our iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus review, and feel free to drop a comment and maybe a social share if you really enjoyed it.
Feel free to check out the best iPhone 7 contract deals in the UK at the top of this post..
Full Spec Below:
Launch: 2016, September
- Dimension: 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1mm (5.44 x 2.64 x 0.28 in)
- Weight: 138g (4.87 oz)
- Build: Front Glass, Aluminium Body
- Sim: Nano-SIM
– IP67 dust/water resistant (up to 1m for 30 mins)
– Apple Pay (Visa, Mastercard, AMEX certified)
- Type: LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours
- Size: 4.7inches, 60.9cm², (-65.6% screen-to-body ratio)
- Resolution: 750 x 1334 pixels, 16:9 ratio (-326 ppi density)
- Multitouch: Yes
- Protection: Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
-Wide colour gamut display
– 3D Touch display & home button
- OS: iOS 10.0.1, upgradable to iOS 11.4.1
- Chipset: Apple A10 Fusion
- CPU: Quad-core 2.34 GHz (2x Hurricane + 2x Zephyr)
- GPU: PowerVR Series7XT Plus (six-core graphics)
- Card slot: No
- Internal: 32/128/256GB, 2GB RAM
- Primary: 12MP, f/1.8, 28mm, 1/3″, OIS, PDAF
- Features: Quad-LED dual-tone flash, HDR
- Video: 2160p@30fps, 1080p@30/60/120fps, 720p@240fps
- Secondary: 7MP, f/2.2, 32mm, Face Detection, HDR, Panorama, 1080p@30fps
- Alert Types: Vibration, proprietary ringtones
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with stereo speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
– Active noise cancellation with dedicated mic
– Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack adapter incl
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot
- Bluetooth: 4.2, A2DP, LE
- GPS: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS, GALILEO, QZSS
- NFC: Yes
- Radio: No
- USB: 2.0, proprietary reversible connector
- Sensors: Fingerprint (front-mounted), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer
- Messaging: iMessage, SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email
- Browser: HTML5 (Safari)
- More: – Siri natural language commands and dictation
– iCloud cloud service
– MP3/WAV/AAX+/AIFF/Apple Lossless player
– MP4/H.264 player
– Audio/video/photo editor
– Document editor
- Non-removeable Li-Ion 1960 mAh battery (7.45 Wh)
- Talk Time: Up to 14h (3G)
- Music Play: Up to 40h
- Colors: Jet Black, Black, Silver, Gold, Rose Gold, Red
- Price: As seen in above post
- Performance: Basemark OS || 2.0: 3416
- Display: Contrast ratio: 1603:1 (nominal), 3.964 (sunlight)
- Camera: Photo / Video
- Loudspeaker: Voice 67dB / Noise 73dB / Ring 75dB
- Audio Quality: Noise -92.4dB / Crosstalk -80.9dB
- Battery life: Endurance rating 61h